Saturday, June 2, 2012

My Sad History In Bead Looming

I started bead looming when I was 13 and obsessed with...wait for it... Tom Petty! I know, weird right? I was 1 of 2  13-year-old girls in the 90's who loved to listen to Tom Petty, let alone knew who he was. The other was my best friend and partner in crime Kristen Davidson.
Right after my 14th birthday my brother told me that Tom Petty was going to be in San Francisco. After much pleading and begging my Dad agreed to let me go and drive Kristen and I to the concert. In preparation for the upcoming event I decided to make a bead loomed piece of custom art for Mr. Petty to show my love and admiration. I had just learned to make the cutest little coin pursed. I fashioned a yellow and orange purse made special with Mr. Petty's initials largely displayed across the front. The day of the concert finally arrived! I sat in the car with my Tom Petty ticket and beaded mini coin purse in hand. The concert was great! We were the youngest by at least 30 years and couldn't quite figure out where that funky smell was coming from. Once the concert was over I approached the stage and gave my custom made coin purse to a bouncer and asked him "Would you mind giving this to Mr. Petty for me please?" The bouncer looked at me for a second, then said "This is a coin purse." To which I explained "I made it myself...for Tom Petty." The bouncer looked down at the purse and said "It says T.P." I stared at him, "His name is Tom Petty." The bouncer shook his head and walked back stage.
Only later did I realize that Tom Petty happens to share initials with a certain bathroom wiping aid. Oops :D
I have since lost my taste for coin purses. But I truly LOVE bead loom bracelets!
This is a new bracelet that will be coming soon to





2 comments:

  1. LOL! Maybe Tom carried the coin purse for the coins he needed for European bathrooms when he was on tour!

    ReplyDelete